When Alexander Graham Bell first invented the telephone, it was crystal clear that he had struck gold. From humble beginnings, the telephone grew to be one of the most influential inventions of the 20th Century; being incorporated in every aspect of our daily lives. From business to leisure, we simply couldn’t live without our phones (or shall we say telephones)! In fact, Mathews later received a U.S. patent in 1982 for the invention of business voicemail greeting service!
And it’s no surprise that in the late 1970’s, due to unprecedented surges in call traffic, Gordon Mathews founded VMX in 1979. The company’s acronym stood for Voicemail express, and it introduced the first office voicemail greeting service.
The Office Voicemail Greeting in the 21st Century
Today, an office phone greeting is a must-have in any business or corporate setup. Heck, a missed call could mean the difference between sealing or missing out on a multi-million dollar deal! And no entrepreneur in his or her right mind would let that happen. Hence, the office voicemail message has become an essential part of our phone etiquette, both in the business and personal world.
In fact, apart from the corporate setup, voicemail greetings are essential in our personal lives. It can be quite stressful to call a loved one and they’re not able to get in touch with you. However, the sound of your soothing voice can reassure them that you might just be busy at the moment and that you will give them a return call. Alternatively, they can be able to leave a detailed voicemail describing their purpose for calling. That being said, here are 10 golden rules to come up with the perfect office voicemail script and message.
10 Tips for Recording Personal and Office Voicemail Greetings
As you can see, a voicemail is more than just an electronic message. For some, it can be a break the monotony of their 9-5 jobs and can inject some positivity and humor in their lives.
That being said, here are top 10 tips for recording a personal voicemail greeting:
- A little laughter goes a long way: When it comes to creating your first sample office voicemail greeting, there’s no need to be all nitty-gritty and uptight when recording. You have the freedom to inject a little humour and liven the mood for both you and the recipient. You can add your own jokes, be a little cheeky, or even add an insanely witty quote to leave people scratching their heads at what they just heard! You have unlimited freedom when it comes to this department.
- Let your callers know when you’ll be able to go through their voicemails: There’s nothing as worse as leaving your voicemail greetings for office unheard because it will defeat the purpose of it being a voicemail in the first place. That being said, it’s important that you let your callers know that you will be checking your voicemail at certain times of the day.
- Give your callers an alternative option to get in touch with you: You might have some callers who desperately need to get in touch with you regardless of whether you are offline at the moment. It might be an emergency, so ensure that you tailor your office voicemail greeting script to let them know that they can alternatively contact you via text message or email. Giving them these options helps them relay communication to you much faster and easier.
- Make your voicemails short and simple: Brevity is an awesome tool to use. Hence, make sure that you keep your office voicemail message template as short and precise to the point as possible. Ensure to iron out that you are currently busy at the moment and won’t be able to come to the phone until much later.
- Always remember to be polite when creating your voicemails: It doesn’t hurt to use words such as ‘please’, ‘kindly’ or ‘thank you.’ In fact, you will notice that in many examples of office voicemail greetings, etiquette is paramount. Hence, such phrases make the recipient of your voicemail more open to the fact that you are busy.
- Ensure to strike a balance between being unique and remaining professional: It’s important that your voicemail strikes the ideal balance between representing your personality as well as being professional, too! You never know who might be getting in touch with you. It could be your boss. Who knows? Hence, make sure you strike the perfect balance between being professional and maintaining a great and witty voicemail.
- Create a positive atmosphere by smiling while on the phone: You might not realize it, but you actually talk differently when you smile on the phone. In fact, someone can easily tell if you are enjoying a conversation with them simply by how you sound over the phone. Hence, it’s important that you relay a positive attitude by smiling over the phone when recording your voicemail! It will definitely relay a cool and chilled vibe.
- Ensure there’s no background noise when creating your voicemail: Create your voicemail in a place with no background noise so that your voice, as well as your words, can clearly be heard. In fact, you’ll notice that most business greeting voicemail examples have great clarity, right?
- If you are creating a voicemail, always leave your name and details: If you happen to be the one leaving a voicemail for a new contact that is currently unavailable, always make sure you leave your name and details to enable the receiver to easily identify who it is when they attempt to get back in touch with you. Furthermore, if a caller is unable to find you, you should give them an invitation to leave a message as well.
- Update your voicemails regularly: Keep your voicemails up to date with new quotes or even reflecting certain milestones in your life. This will keep those calling you updated with what you are currently working and why you can’t come to the phone at the moment.
Professional Office Voicemail Greeting Script Examples
Choose Us for Office Voicemail Greeting Today
With that being said, we give you the top 10 golden rules to create an amazing voicemail. Furthermore, if you would like to get some reference material to get started, feel free to check out our amazing office voicemail greeting examples on our site. Alternatively, if you would like our best professional voicemail services, you can get in touch with and we can discuss amicably how you ideally would like your voicemail to be. It doesn’t matter whether they are Christmas voicemail greetings or office-oriented, we will get the job done.